Hollywood Career Launch Program
MPI's Hollywood Career Launch Program cultivates talented young filmmakers, screenwriters, producers, directors, and others who are committed to using the aesthetic power of film to promote the core American values of freedom. MPI places interns at such well-positioned production companies as Lionsgate Entertainment, Adam Sandlers Happy Madison Productions, and the Disney Channel. While most interns will be based in Los Angeles, some may be matched with directors or production companies in New York, Boston, or other major metropolitan areas.
Maintaining close ties with interns and host companies alike, we strive at every point to create an integrated, positive experience for both. To ease the process for both interns and host companies, MPI provides stipends for all interns, and assists with housing as needed. Interns participate in regular discussion sessions with MPI advisors and staff, who will assign readings and host discussions about various aspects of the industry. Los Angeles interns will have the opportunity to meet one another and, when possible, to attend industry events.
The results speak for themselvesour interns regularly receive offers of fulltime employment from their host companies, and our host companies routinely express the desire to work with MPI interns in future. Most of our former interns are now working in the film industry; others are carrying their appreciation for liberty (and for the role film can play in promoting it) into related career paths, including policy analysis and new media marketing for non-profit organizations.
What People Are Saying
- I want to sincerely thank you for sponsoring me as an intern at Happy Madison Productions. The experience was extremely rewarding, and I learned more than I could possibly have imagined. I would not have been able to get this far without the assistance I received from the Moving Picture Institute. Hopefully, with help from MPI, more supporters of liberty will be able to thrive in the media and eventually turn public opinion on to the ideals of individual and economic freedom."Heston Roewe (2008 summer intern)
- I worked in the brand management department of Disney Channel in Burbank this summer. It really was a phenomenal experience working there. They are the best in their field and I could not have been in a better place to learn about the industry."Jonathan Willbanks (2008 summer intern)
- The Moving Picture Institutes internship program is the best I have come across in this town. Your filter process for matching interns and host companies is excellent, and is doing much to ensure that the Hollywood of the future will be populated with young people of great ability, determination, artistry, and know-how. I hope Happy Madison will be home to more MPI interns in the future."Allen Covert, screenwriter and actor, Happy Madison Production
Applying for the Hollywood Career Launch Program
MPI is looking for independent, dynamic, creative, energetic, and self-motivated students or recent graduates who possess excellent research and communication abilities and who have a demonstrable interest in film production. The ideal candidate is committed to individual rights and has an informed appreciation for American liberty. Judgment, focus, organization, empathy, an ability to work under pressure, and a sense of humor are also important.
MPI reviews applications for summer and academic year internships on a rolling basis and will work with production partners and interns to set a mutually convenient schedule. Interested candidates should e-mail a cover letter and résumé to: internships [at] thempi [dot] org.
In your cover letter, please discuss:
- Why using film to advance liberty and individual rights is important to you
- Five pivotal people, films, or books, that have influenced your world view
- Your long-term career and life goals and how the MPI Internship Program will help you achieve these goals
- Your leadership ability, self motivation, or entrepreneurial spirit
- What interests you most about MPI's work and why
HOST A YOUNG FILMMAKER: Become an MPI Production Partner
MPIs candidate screening process saves production partners from the considerable costs of advertising for interns, reading résumés, interviewing candidates, and providing stipends. We guarantee production partners the highest quality and hardest-working interns. To find out how to become an MPI production partner, please email Stacie Fulcher, MPIs internship coordinator, at internships at thempi dot org.